Main Content

Contact FEMA If Insurance for Tornado-Related Living Expenses Expires

Release date: 
June 18, 2014
Release Number: 

JACKSON, Miss. – Disaster survivors whose additional living expenses (sometimes termed “loss of use”) from their insurance company are running out and who still have a temporary housing need should contact the Federal Emergency Management Agency helpline (800-621-3362) immediately if they have not registered for disaster assistance.

Those who have registered should fax or mail a letter to the address below, explain the situation, document the use and expiration of living expenses from insurance and update their permanent housing plan.

Applicants may mail letters to:


National Processing Service Center

P.O. Box 10055

Hyattsville, MD  20782-7055

Applicants may fax letters to:


Attention: FEMA

People who were displaced from their homes and others who sustained damage from the April 28 through May 3 storms, tornadoes and flooding in designated disaster counties (Itawamba, Jones, Leake, Lee, Lowndes, Madison, Montgomery, Rankin, Simpson, Warren, Wayne and Winston) may be eligible for FEMA’s Individual Assistance program, which can include temporary housing assistance. Monday, June 30, 2014, is the deadline to register with FEMA for individual assistance.

Survivors who have not yet registered with FEMA can do so online at, with a mobile device at or by calling the FEMA helpline at 800-621-3362. Survivors who are deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech disability can call TTY 800-462-7585.

Contact the helpline with any questions or concerns regarding temporary rental assistance from FEMA.

For more information on Mississippi disaster recovery, go to Visit the MEMA site at or on Facebook at

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards. 

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). If you have a speech disability or hearing loss and use a TTY, call 800-462-7585 directly; if you use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 800-621-3362.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.







Last Updated: 
July 8, 2017 - 11:40
State/Tribal Government or Region: