Main Content

Renters May be Eligible for Disaster Assistance

Release date: 
June 6, 2014
Release Number: 

MONTGOMERY, Ala. – Individuals and families who incurred damage to their rented homes or apartments and suffered personal property loss in Alabama may be eligible for disaster-related assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency or disaster loans from the SBA.

If you lived in one of the nine Alabama counties designated for FEMA Individual Assistance following the severe storms, tornadoes, straight-line winds and flooding of April 28 through May 5, register for assistance now.

The deadline to register for FEMA assistance is July 1, 2014.

Renters who resided in an apartment, mobile home or leased house that was made unlivable, because of disaster damage also are encouraged to contact FEMA.

"As numerous persons who rented their homes at the time of the disaster are discovering, disaster aid is not limited to homeowners," said Albie Lewis, federal officer in charge of the Alabama disaster. “Already over 1,300 renters have registered with FEMA and many are receiving help as they began to rebuild their lives.”

Residents of Baldwin, Blount, DeKalb, Etowah, Jefferson, Lee, Limestone, Mobile or Tuscaloosa counties who suffered storm damage during the period April 28 through May 5 should aapply for assistance by registering online at, via smartphone at or by phone at 800-621-3362, TTY 800-462-7585.  Multilingual operators are available.

Through its Housing Assistance program, eligible renters in Alabama counties designated for Individual Assistance may be eligible for federal rental assistance. This may include:

  • Funds to rent a temporary place to live for a limited period of time while repairs are done to their primary residence that was made unlivable by the disaster;
  • A free referral service to help find another rental property.

Both renters and homeowners may also be eligible for FEMA’s Other Needs Assistance, designed to help survivors with uninsured or underinsured necessary expenses and serious needs caused by the disaster. These grants can be used for:

  • Disaster-related medical and dental expenses;
  • Replacement or repair of necessary personal property lost or damaged in the disaster; household items such as room furnishings or appliances, and tools and equipment required by the self-employed for their jobs;
  • Primary vehicles and approved second vehicles damaged by the disaster.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for childcare, medical, dental expenses and/or funeral expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, those who are referred to the SBA must complete and submit an application to the SBA for a decision.

Should the SBA not approve the application, the applicant may be referred back to FEMA for assistance with damaged personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, moving and storage expenses.

Last Updated: 
June 6, 2014 - 18:17