Main Content

Renters May Be Eligible for Disaster Assistance

Release date: 
May 14, 2014
Release Number: 

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – Arkansas renters who lost their homes or personal property as a result of the tornadoes, severe storms and flooding on April 27 may be eligible for recovery aid from the Arkansas Department of Emergency Management (ADEM), the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), and other agencies.

“The storms and flooding that hit Arkansas didn't discriminate between homeowners and renters,” said State Coordinating Officer David Maxwell of ADEM. “Thanks to programs that support renters, eligible Arkansans who rent their homes may receive grants that will speed their recovery.”

“FEMA’s mission is to ensure that all storm survivors get the assistance they’re eligible to receive—and that definitely includes renters,” said FEMA’s Federal Coordinating Officer (FCO) Timothy J. Scranton.

FEMA offers two kinds of help for eligible renters who were displaced from their homes by the storms:

  • Money to rent a different place to live for a limited period of time while repairs are made to the household’s rented home
  • A free referral service to find a safe replacement rental property

FEMA also helps eligible survivors, including renters, with uninsured or underinsured necessary expenses and serious needs caused by the disaster, such as:

  • Disaster-related medical and dental expenses
  • Disaster-related funeral and burial expenses
  • Replacement or repair of necessary personal property lost or damaged in the disaster, household items such as room furnishings or appliances, and tools and equipment required by the self-employed for their jobs
  • Primary vehicles and approved second vehicles damaged by the disaster

Additionally, renters and homeowners may borrow up to $40,000 from the U.S. Small Business Administration to repair or replace personal property.

To qualify for state/federal assistance, renters must first register with FEMA. Homeowners, renters and business owners can continue to register online at or via web-enabled mobile device at They may also call 1-800-621-3362 or (TTY) 1-800-462-7585.  Those who use 711 Relay or Video Relay Services may call 1-800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone numbers are staffed from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week until further notice.

Follow FEMA tweets about Arkansas disaster recovery at  Visit or for news and information about Arkansas recovery. Other online resources are, and


Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status.  If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

The Arkansas Department of Emergency Management (ADEM) is the state's homeland security and preparedness agency. The agency works to identify and lessen the effects of emergencies, disasters and threats to Arkansas by developing effective prevention, preparedness, mitigation, response and recovery actions for all disasters and emergencies.  For additional information, contact ADEM at (501) 683-6700 or visit the website at

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.  Follow us on Twitter at, the R6 Hurricane Preparedness website at and the FEMA Blog at

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is the federal government’s primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property. SBA helps homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes, and private non-profit organizations fund repairs or rebuilding efforts and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property. These disaster loans cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations. For information about SBA programs, applicants can go to or call (800) 659-2955 (TTY 1-800-977-8339).

Last Updated: 
May 20, 2014 - 12:01
State/Tribal Government or Region: