Main Content

FEMA/Alabama Recovery Centers Help Recovery Begin

Release date: 
May 14, 2014
Release Number: 
DR-4176-AL NR 004

CLANTON, Ala. --- Disaster Recovery Centers operated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Alabama Emergency Management Agency are open in Baldwin, Blount, DeKalb, Etowah, Jefferson, Lee, and Limestone counties to help survivors of the recent severe storms, tornadoes and flooding begin recovery.

Recovery Centers are open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Saturday in the following locations:

  • Baldwin County:
  • Elberta Town Hall, 10352 Main St., Elberta, 36530
  • Fairhope Civic Center (Delchamps Room), 161 North Section St.,  Fairhope, 36532
  • Etowah County:
  • Sardis City Hall, 1335 Sardis Drive, Boaz, 35956
  • Jefferson County:
  • Maurice C. West Community Center, 171 Second St. SW, Graysville, 35073
  • Kimberly Senior Center, 8013Warrior-Kimberly Rd., Kimberly, 35091
  • Lee County:
  • Smith’s Station Government Center, 2336 Lee County Road 430, Suite 101, Smith’s Station, 36877
  • Limestone County:
  • Ripley Woodmen of the World Hall-11281 Ripley Road, Athens, 35611

Specialists from AEMA, FEMA and the Small Business Administration will be on hand to answer questions. Survivors will be able to:

  • Discuss their individual disaster-related needs.
  • Submit any additional documentation needed, such as phone bills or letters from insurance companies.
  • Find out the status of an application.
  • Obtain information about different types of state and federal assistance.
  • Get help from SBA specialists in completing low-interest disaster loan applications for homeowners, renters and business owners.
  • Receive referrals to the American Red Cross and other voluntary organizations to help with immediate needs.
  •  Before going to a center, if possible, survivors should register with FEMA. Apply for assistance by registering online at, via smartphone at or by phone at 800-621-3362. Survivors who are deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech disability can call (TTY) 800-462-7585.  Multilingual operators are available.

Disaster assistance may include money to help pay for temporary housing and essential home repairs. Low-interest SBA loans may also be available for losses not covered by insurance or other sources.

Alabama residents should register with FEMA even if they have insurance. FEMA cannot duplicate insurance payments, but under-insured applicants may receive help after their insurance claims have been settled.

Registering with FEMA is required for federal aid, even if the person has registered with another disaster-relief organization. FEMA registrants must use the name that appears on their Social Security card.

Applicants will be asked for the following information:

  • Social Security number.
  • Address of the damaged home or apartment.
  • Description of the damage.
  • Information about insurance coverage.
  • A current contact telephone number.
  • An address where they can receive mail.
  • Bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit of funds.

For more information on Alabama disaster recovery, click Visit the Alabama Emergency Management Agency website at or Facebook page at

Last Updated: 
July 8, 2017 - 11:40