Main Content

Survivors in Three More Arkansas Counties May Now Apply for FEMA Individual Assistance

Release date: 
May 5, 2014
Release Number: 

Little Rock, Ark. – Arkansans in Pulaski, Randolph and White counties whose property was destroyed or damaged in the April 27 tornado and severe storms may now apply for federal and state disaster assistance.

The three counties were added Monday, May 5, to the major disaster declaration issued April 29 for Faulkner County. Homeowners, renters and business owners in those counties may now register for state and federal assistance with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and report their uninsured or underinsured property damage or destruction from the storm.

“The April 27 storms upended the lives of hundreds of Arkansans – homeowners, renters and business owners – in these counties,” said State Coordinating Office David Maxwell. “Many need assistance, and the addition of their counties to the disaster declaration means we can give them a helping hand.”

 “This action allows us to help many more eligible tornado survivors in Arkansas,” said Federal Coordinating Officer Timothy J. Scranton. “We urge survivors in all four counties now designated for Individual Assistance to register with FEMA as soon as possible. We want to help, but survivors have to register to start the process.”

Disaster assistance for uninsured and underinsured individuals may include:

  • Grants to help pay for temporary housing and emergency home repairs to make a home habitable;
  • Grants for serious disaster-related expenses not covered by insurance;
  • Low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).

FEMA cannot duplicate insurance payments, but underinsured applicants may receive help after their insurance claims have been settled.

Registering with FEMA is required for federal aid, even if the person has already registered with another disaster-relief organization or local community or church organization. FEMA registrants must use the name that appears on their Social Security cards. Applicants will be asked to provide:

  • Social Security number
  • Address of the damaged home or apartment
  • Description of the damage
  • Information about insurance coverage
  • A current contact telephone number
  • An address where they can get mail
  • Bank account and routing numbers if they want direct deposit of any financial assistance.

Survivors can register online at or via smartphone at Applicants may also call 1-800-621-3362 or (TTY) 1-800-462-7585. If you use 711 Relay or Video Relay Services call 1-800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone numbers are open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week.

Last Updated: 
May 6, 2014 - 13:23
State/Tribal Government or Region: