FEMA Awards $2,784,000 Grant to Village of Glenview: Hazard Mitigation funds will be used to make stormwater management improvements

Main Content
Release date: 
January 24, 2014
Release Number: 

CHICAGO – The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released $2,784,000 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds to the Village of Glenview, Ill., for stormwater management system improvements. The project includes the installation of 3,160 linear feet of new storm sewers and one new storm water detention basin. These stormwater improvements will help reduce the impacts of heavy rain and flooding in the village.

“The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program enables communities to implement critical mitigation measures to reduce the risk of loss of life and property,” said Andrew Velasquez III, regional administrator, FEMA Region V. “The implementation of this project will reduce flood damage to nearby homes and lessen the financial impact on individuals and the community when future flooding occurs in this area.”

"Approval of this grant is good news for the Village of Glenview and its residents who have been affected by flooding many times in the past," said Jonathon Monken, director of the Illinois Emergency Management Agency. "This project will improve stormwater retention in the community, which will go a long way toward preventing flooding during heavy rainstorms in the future."

HMGP provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through HMGP, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $3,712,000 eligible project cost. The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $928,000 will be provided by Glenview.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Follow FEMA online at twitter.com/femaregion5, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema.  Also, follow Administrator Craig Fugate's activities at twitter.com/craigatfema. The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Media Contact: Cassie Ringsdorf, (312) 408-4455<?xml:namespace prefix = o />



Last Updated: 
January 27, 2014 - 09:15
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top