Main Content

Talk to Local Officials Before Rebuilding Your Flood-Damaged Home

Release date: 
October 24, 2013
Release Number: 

DENVER-- Before beginning any repair work, property owners should contact their local building officials to find out what permits are required to repair or rebuild.

Some Colorado property owners may find that September’s flood has caused substantial damage to their home or business.

Substantial damage is defined by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) as a home or structure that has incurred substantial damage, is located in a special flood hazard area and the total cost of repairs is 50 percent or more of the structure’s pre-event market value.

Local building officials make the determination that substantial damage has occurred.

When local officials determine a building is located in a special flood hazard area and has substantial damage, the structure must be brought into compliance under the community’s current building ordinances and regulations. 

For more information on general flood insurance, contact your local floodplain administrator, the National Flood Insurance Program at 800-427-4661 or your local insurance agent. Information also is available at and

Last Updated: 
January 3, 2018 - 12:07