Main Content
Release date: 
September 26, 2013
Release Number: 

DENVER - FEMA Individual Assistance is not only for homeowners. It is also be available for eligible renters, and it could include a grant to help pay for temporary emergency housing.

Renters in nine Colorado counties – Adams, Arapahoe, Boulder, Clear Creek, El Paso, Jefferson, Larimer, Logan and Weld – could be eligible for FEMA disaster assistance if their homes were damaged by the recent storms, flooding, landslides or mudslides.

Other FEMA grants can include help paying for disaster-related expenses that include:

  • Replacement or repair of necessary personal property such as furniture and appliances;
  • Replacement or repair of tools and other job-related equipment required by the self-employed;
  • Primary vehicles and approved secondary vehicles;
  • Medical and dental bills, and
  • Funeral and burial bills.

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) also offers low-interest loans to renters for personal property losses.

The first step is to register with FEMA. People with disaster-related damages can register by phone at 800-621-FEMA (3362). Call center hours are 5 a.m. to 8 p.m., MDT, seven days a week. Applicants who are deaf or hard-of-hearing can use TTY 800-462-7585. People can also register on line at

For more information on the disaster operations, go to

To find the DRC closest to you, go to


Last Updated: 
September 26, 2013 - 20:36
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top