Main Content

Last Chance to Visit Disaster Recovery Center in Petal - Others Remain Open

Release date: 
March 6, 2013
Release Number: 

PURVIS, Miss. – The Mississippi Emergency Management Agency and the Federal Emergency Management Agency remind those who want to meet with disaster recovery specialists that Saturday, March 9 will be the last day to visit the Disaster Recovery Center in Petal. Two other centers will remain open.

The disaster recovery center in Petal at the Petal Civic Center, 712 S. Main St. will serve visitors from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. on Saturday, its last day.

Survivors can still meet with disaster-recovery specialists at two centers Monday through Saturday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. at:

  • Ben McNair Recreation Center, 300 North 12th Ave., Hattiesburg
  • Lamar Park, 226 Pinewood Drive, Hattiesburg

Individuals can register for assistance online at or by smartphone or tablet at or other web-enabled mobile devices.

Applicants also may call 800-621-3362 or TTY 800-462-7585. Those who use 711-Relay or Video Relay Services can call 800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone numbers operate 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week until further notice. C-Spire wireless customers can register by calling #362.

Federal disaster assistance for individuals and families can include money for rental assistance, essential home repairs, personal property loss and other serious disaster-related needs not covered by insurance.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.



Last Updated: 
March 6, 2013 - 13:54
State/Tribal Government or Region: