Main Content

Greene, Perry, Counties Designated for Disaster Assistance

Release date: 
March 4, 2013
Release Number: 

PURVIS, Miss. – Two additional counties have been designated for disaster assistance to households and businesses as part of Mississippi's federal disaster declaration, according to officials from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.  The latest counties are Greene and Perry, bringing the total number of counties to seven that have been designated eligible for disaster assistance.

Counties previously designated are Forrest, Jefferson Davis, Lamar, Marion and Wayne.

The first step in recovering from the recent tornadoes, storms and flooding is to register, which is a simple process. There are several ways:

  • Online at or by mobile device at any time day or night.
  • By phone or video relay at 800-621-FEMA (3362) daily from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. local time. Help is available in many languages.
  • By TTY at 800-462-7585.
  • C-Spire Wireless customers can register by calling #362.

Homeowners and renters can register for federal disaster assistance that may include:

  • Temporary housing.
  • Home repairs.
  • Other serious disaster-related expenses not met by insurance or other assistance programs.
  • Low-interest loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration that may cover residential and business losses not fully compensated by insurance.

People in the newly designated counties who have already registered for federal disaster assistance do not need to do so again. If they have any questions about their applications for disaster assistance, they should call 800-621-3362.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.



Last Updated: 
March 4, 2013 - 19:19
State/Tribal Government or Region: