Calling All Landlords: Storm Survivors Need Your Help

Main Content
Release date: 
February 21, 2013
Release Number: 

PEARL, Miss. –Landlords with available rental properties in Mississippi are urged to contact a housing locator service to list their available rental properties.

The Mississippi Emergency Management Agency and the Federal Emergency Management Agency are working together to find housing for those displaced by the recent tornadoes, storms and flooding. In support of that, they encourage Mississippi landlords in or near the four counties affected – Forrest, Lamar, Marion and Wayne – to list their available rentals properties online at or to call toll-free at 877-428-8844, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. -7 p.m. with property details.

To post online with, landlords must click the orange ‘List a Property’ rectangle on the right side of the web page and follow the prompts to enter information about a rental.

Whether they call or go online, landlords should have details readily available about the rental unit such as:

  • Type of dwelling.
  • Number of bedrooms and baths.
  • Handicapped accessibility.
  • Pet policy.
  • Monthly rental and deposit amount.
  • Whether utilities are included.
  • Other need-to-know information. offers assistance in English and Spanish.  All vacant rental properties will be added to FEMA’s list of housing units for disaster survivors.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.                                                 



Last Updated: 
October 28, 2014 - 14:23
Back to Top