Main Content

FEMA Obligates $1.8 Million to Louisiana Agency for Hurricane Isaac Recovery

Main Content
Release date: 
January 10, 2013
Release Number: 

BATON ROUGE, La. The Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) will receive a federal grant totaling more than $1.8 million to reimburse the agency for expenses incurred during Hurricane Isaac, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) said Wednesday.

The FEMA Public Assistance grant, totaling $1,803,935, will cover 75 percent of the costs for emergency protective measures the department took before, during and after the late August hurricane to help evacuate and shelter Louisianians.

Between Aug. 26 and Sept. 10, 2012, Hurricane Isaac and its aftermath required the state of Louisiana to activate plans, procedures, staff and contracts to ensure a comprehensive response for the safe evacuation and sheltering of Louisianians. DCFS is responsible for providing sheltering, mass care, emergency assistance and housing to residents affected by a disaster.

“The department played a critical role in helping people remain safe, dry and healthy under extremely difficult circumstances,” said Federal Coordinating Officer Gerard M. Stolar of FEMA. “The grant will help DCFS recover its expenses for that important effort.”

Under a cost-sharing formula, FEMA reimburses the state for 75 percent of the total costs, while the state and/or applicant pay the remaining 25 percent. The newly obligated funds are a portion of the nearly $175.7 million in total Public Assistance recovery dollars approved for the state since the Aug. 29, 2012, disaster declaration.

Once FEMA reimburses the state of Louisiana it is the state’s responsibility to manage the funds, which includes making disbursements to local jurisdictions and organizations that incurred costs.

For more information on Louisiana disaster recovery, click or You can follow FEMA on Twitter at or on Facebook at Also visit our blog at

Last Updated: 
January 10, 2013 - 12:59
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: