Main Content

Disaster Assistance Also Available To Renters

Main Content
Release date: 
April 7, 2012
Release Number: 

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- West Virginia renters who lost their homes or personal property as a result of the recent storms and flooding may be eligible for assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, officials said today.

FEMA's Individual and Households Program offers housing assistance to renters that includes funds to rent alternative housing for a limited period of time while repairs are made to their dwelling.

Renters may also be eligible for Other Needs Assistance, designed to help survivors with uninsured but necessary expenses and serious needs caused by the disaster. ONA money may be used for:

  • Disaster-related medical and dental expenses;
  • Replacement or repair of necessary personal property lost or damaged in the disaster, including household items such as room furnishings or appliances, and tools and equipment required by the employer for their work; and
  • Primary vehicles and approved second vehicles damaged by the disaster.
  • Residents of any of the four West Virginia counties eligible for individual assistance are urged to apply as soon as possible.  The counties are Lincoln, Logan, Marion and Wayne.

Registering with FEMA is quick and simple. Call the FEMA Helpline at 800-621- 3362,
TTY 800-462-7585.  Multilingual assistance is available by phone. The toll-free line is open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET, seven days a week until further notice. 

Applicants can also register online at or with a web-enabled mobile device or smartphone at Follow the link to "apply online for federal assistance."

The deadline to apply is May 15 for Marion, Wayne and Lincoln counties and May 21 for Logan County.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: