Received an Insurance Settlement After Irene? Still Have Unmet Needs? Follow Up With FEMA Disaster Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
October 24, 2011
Release Number: 

WINDSOR, Conn. -- Property owners and renters who suffered damage caused by Tropical Storm Irene have until 10 p.m. Nov. 3, to apply for disaster assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Connecticut residents who have applied but not received FEMA assistance, because they have insurance coverage, may still have unmet needs and should submit their insurance settlement documentation to have FEMA reevaluate their case.

“Residents and businesses should allow FEMA to evaluate their damages and eligibility for assistance, even if they carry insurance,” said Connecticut Governor Dannel P. Malloy.

 While the registration deadline for FEMA disaster assistance is Nov. 3, residents have 12 months from the date of their registration to submit their insurance information for review. 

“FEMA may be able to help you if you are underinsured or your insurance policy does not cover some of your disaster related expenses or losses,” said FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer Stephen M. De Blasio Sr. “If you have received an insurance settlement and still have unmet needs, follow up with FEMA.”

Property owners and renters affected by Tropical Storm Irene should contact their insurance agents first and file a claim if necessary. Failure to file a claim with your insurance company may affect your eligibility. After filing the claim any of the following situations may occur:

  • Your insurance settlement is insufficient to meet your disaster-related needs.  If you have received the maximum settlement from your insurance and still have an unmet disaster-related need, you will need to write a letter to FEMA indicating the unmet disaster-related need. You will also need to send in documentation from your insurance company for review.
  • You have exhausted the Additional Living Expenses (ALE) provided by your insurance company.  If you have received the maximum settlement from your insurance for Additional Living Expenses (Loss of Use) and still need help with your disaster-related temporary housing need, write a letter to FEMA indicating why you continue to have a temporary housing need. You will need to provide documentation to prove exhaustion of the housing portion of you ALE from insurance.

To register for FEMA disaster assistance call 1-800-621-3362 or TTY at 1-800-462-7585; or  residents may apply online at or by smart phone or tablet at You may also call on or you can use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), calling 800-621-3362. Multilingual operators answer calls seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.  If you have a disability and need help registering, please don’t hesitate to contact FEMA to ask for help.

The deadline to apply for disaster assistance connected to Tropical Storm Irene is Nov. 3, 2011. Remember, residents have 12 months from the date of registering with FEMA to submit their insurance for review. By law, FEMA cannot provide money to individuals and households for losses that are covered by insurance.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top