Have Insurance? Still Apply for FEMA Disaster Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
September 28, 2011
Release Number: 

WINDSOR, Conn. -- If your property was affected by Tropical Storm Irene, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) encourages you to apply for disaster assistance, even if you carry insurance.

"Residents of Connecticut should allow our experts to evaluate their damages and eligibility for assistance," said FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer Steve De Blasio. "Individuals may qualify for low-interest loans and other beneficial programs to augment their recovery. It would be unfortunate for a resident to miss out simply because they assumed their losses do not justify federal assistance."

More than 4,000 Connecticut residents have applied for federal disaster assistance since Sept. 2, when President Obama announced a major disaster declaration for Connecticut. All eight counties are designated within the declaration. Residents may be eligible for assistance if they incurred damages from the period Aug. 27 to Sept. 1 as a result of Tropical Storm Irene.

Officials with the Connecticut Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection and FEMA believe there may be more disaster-affected individuals who have not applied because they think their damages do not warrant coverage. Some residents second guess their eligibility and do not look into the possibility of federal assistance.

"We want to encourage residents to apply for federal disaster assistance," said Reuben F. Bradford, Commissioner of the Connecticut Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection. "Check with FEMA to find out if your damages could be covered by Individual Assistance."

The deadline to apply for federal disaster assistance is Thursday, Nov. 3. Apply online: www.DisasterAssistance.gov, or call 1-800-621-3362/FEMA or (TTY) 1-800-462-7585.

Registering with FEMA is required for federal aid, even if the person has registered with another disaster relief organization such as the American Red Cross, local officials or churches. Registrants with FEMA must use the name that appears on their Social Security card. Applicants need to provide:

  • Social Security number;
  • Address of the damaged home or apartment;
  • Description of the damage;
  • Information about insurance coverage;
  • A current contact telephone number.

Follow FEMA online at twitter.com/fema, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema.  Also, follow Administrator Craig Fugate's activities at twitter.com/craigatfema. The social media links provided are for reference only.  FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Back to Top