Main Content

FEMA Specialists Offer Rebuilding Advice

Release date: 
September 14, 2011
Release Number: 

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Mitigation specialists from the Federal Emergency Management Agency will be in Kitty Hawk, New Bern and Greenville to provide free rebuilding information and answer questions on how to strengthen property against future storm damage.

Advisors have suggestions and publications to help homeowners, renters and business owners protect against damaging winds, floods and fires.

FEMA mitigation advisors will be available Sept. 19 to Sept. 25 at the following locations:

Home Depot
5300 N. Croatan Highway
Kitty Hawk, N.C. 27949

Lowe’s Home Improvement
1400 Lowe's Blvd.
New Bern N.C. 28562

Lowe's Home Improvement
3840 E. 10th St.
Greenville, N.C. 27858

Advisors will be available at each store starting Monday, Sept. 19, from noon to 7 p.m. The specialists will be available Tuesday through Saturday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. and on Sunday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Mitigation measures may reduce mold and mildew and protect electrical systems, furnaces and other appliances. They also reinforce structures against high wind, flood and fire and secure personal property.

Free reference booklets such as Help After A Disaster and Mold & Mildew: Cleaning Up Your Flood-Damaged Home are available in English and in Spanish. No registration for disaster assistance is required for these publications or advice. Information on flood insurance is also available.

Information about strengthening property can be downloaded at

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

FEMA's temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

Last Updated: 
July 8, 2017 - 10:51
State/Tribal Government or Region: