Main Content

FEMA Workers Will Be Going to the Fair This Year

Main Content
Release date: 
August 22, 2011
Release Number: 

BURLINGTON, Vt. -- Visitors to Vermont's fairs this summer and fall will be seeing something new in addition to the animals, carnival rides and fried dough.

Officials with the Federal Emergency Management Agency will be on hand to offer residents information about rebuilding their flood-damaged homes, and how to make them better able to withstand future disasters.

"FEMA typically has mitigation specialists visit large home improvement stores to meet with those who are rebuilding after a disaster," said FEMA's Federal Coordinating Officer Craig Gilbert. "Going to places where Vermonters traditionally congregate at this time of year -- county fairs -- only makes sense."

Mitigation advisors can provide valuable information on how to reinforce structures against flooding like that which took place this spring in Vermont, as well as provide information on the National Flood Insurance Program.

They can also offer advice on mold and mildew cleanup, and how electrical systems, furnaces and other appliances can be protected from flooding. Free publications on a variety of rebuilding and recovery topics will also be available.

"These mitigation specialists can provide Vermonters with very helpful information," said Vermont Emergency Management Director Mike O’Neil. "A fair is not only a good way to take a break from rebuilding, but a good place to get ideas for rebuilding."

To download materials on a variety of topics about strengthening property, go to

FEMA At The Fair Schedule

Caledonia County Fair

Champlain Valley Fair
Essex Junction

Vermont State Fair

Tunbridge World's Fair

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

FEMA's temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

SBA disaster loan information and application forms may be obtained by calling the SBA's Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955 (800-877-8339 for people with speech or hearing disabilities) Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET or by sending an e-mail to Applications can also be downloaded from or completed on-line at

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: