FEMA Awards $86,936 Grant to City of Auburn

Main Content
Release date: 
April 20, 2011
Release Number: 
R5-11-025

CHICAGO – The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) today released $86,936 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds to the city of Auburn, Ind., for the flood proofing of the National Automotive and Truck Museum.

“The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program enables communities to implement critical mitigation measures to reduce or eliminate the risk of loss of life and property,” said Andrew Velasquez III, regional administrator, FEMA Region V. “The flood proofing of the National Automotive and Truck Museum will help reduce future damage to this historic building and to the vehicles on display.”

The buildings of the National Automotive and Truck Museum have been named a National Historic Landmark by the Department of Interior. These buildings are compromised each time flood water overtops the stream banks of Cedar Creek, the largest tributary of the St. Joseph River, and inundates the lower floor of the building with water. This funding will protect the building by installing sump pumps around the building and removable door dams on seven exterior doors. This will ultimately preserve the buildings’ context and collections, while having minimal effect on the structures.

“The loss of historic structures can severely injure a community,” said Indiana Department of Homeland Security (IDHS) Executive Director Joseph Wainscott. “Mitigation to properties deters adverse affects, and enhances properties to withstand the impact of future hazardous flooding while maintaining the cultural resource’s integrity.”

HMGP provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through HMGP, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $115,915 project. The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $28,979, will be provided through a combination of funds from the city of Auburn, Maumee River Basin Commission and the museum.

The funds will be available once a final agreement is signed between the city of Auburn and IDHS, which administers the mitigation program.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

###

Follow FEMA online at twitter.com/fema, twitter.com/femaregion5, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema. Also, follow Administrator Craig Fugate's activities at twitter.com/craigatfema. The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: