FEMA Awards $117,913 Grant to City of Hugo

Main Content
Release date: 
April 14, 2011
Release Number: 
R5-11-022

CHICAGO – The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has awarded $117,913 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds to the city of Hugo, Minn., for the installation of eight additional storm warning sirens and relocation of an existing siren.

The city of Hugo currently has five warning sirens covering the west side of the city. The relocation of one siren and the installation of eight new sirens will expand the coverage of the storm warning system on the east side of the city.

“The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program enables communities like Hugo to implement critical mitigation measures to reduce or eliminate the risk of loss of life and property,” said Andrew Velasquez III, regional administrator, FEMA Region V. “These funds give the city a more effective network of outdoor warning sirens and will create a better public safety system.”

HMGP provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through HMGP, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $157,218 project cost. The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $39,305, will be provided by the city of Hugo.

FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

###

Follow FEMA online at twitter.com/fema, twitter.com/femaregion5, www.facebook.com/fema, and www.youtube.com/fema. The social media links provided are for reference only. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: