Main Content

Deadline Approaching To File for FEMA/Cal EMA Public Assistance Grants

Release date: 
February 23, 2011
Release Number: 

Pasadena, Calif. -- Thursday, February 24, 2011  is the deadline for California state and local agencies, tribal nations and certain private nonprofit agencies, that may be eligible for federal and state disaster assistance, to submit Request for Public Assistance (RPA) forms to the California Emergency Management Agency (Cal EMA).

The forms ask for general information which identifies the applicant and is one of the first steps in the Public Assistance (PA) grant process. The PA funds are available to eligible applicants as part of the federal disaster declaration of January 26, 2011 for the severe winter storms, flooding, debris and mud flows that occurred December 17, 2010 through January 4, 2011 in Inyo, Kern, Kings, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and Tulare counties.

The primary goal of the Public Assistance program administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and Cal EMA is to provide reimbursement for eligible expenses for emergency response as well as the repair and replacement of damaged public facilities.

Under the PA program, FEMA reimburses eligible applicants for 75 percent of their eligible expenses, while the remaining 25 percent of costs are the responsibility of the state/local agency or eligible nonprofit organization. In California, Cal EMA pays 75% of the non federal share of eligible costs incurred by city and county agencies and special districts with local agencies picking up the remaining 25%, of the non-federal share.

State agencies, private nonprofits and tribal nations are responsible for the entire non federal share. The federal portion is paid directly to the state, which then makes disbursements to the local jurisdictions and organizations.

Under current law, applicants must submit RPAs to Cal EMA within 30 days of the federal major disaster declaration. For forms and more information on the Public Assistance programs, call Cal EMA at 626-431-3290.

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Last Updated: 
July 8, 2017 - 10:47
State/Tribal Government or Region: