Main Content

State/Federal Assistance Available To Eligible Private Non-Profit Organizations

Main Content
Release date: 
April 7, 2010
Release Number: 

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) provides supplemental Federal disaster grant assistance for debris removal, emergency protective measures, and the repair, replacement, or restoration of disaster-damaged, publicly owned facilities and the facilities of certain eligible Private Non-Profit (PNP) organizations. This program also encourages protection of these damaged facilities from future events by providing assistance for hazard mitigation measures during the recovery process.

On March 8, 2010 President Obama signed a Major Disaster Declaration for Public Assistance due to the Severe Winter Storms, Flooding, Debris and Mud Flows that affected California from January 17 to February 6, 2010. This declaration makes funding available to state and local government agencies and certain non-profit organizations on a cost sharing basis in Calaveras, Imperial, Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino and Siskiyou counties for eligible recovery projects.

Private Non-Profit organizations or institutions that own or operate facilities that are open to the general public and that provide certain services otherwise performed by a government agency, may be eligible for assistance. Services include:

  • Education
    Colleges and universities; Parochial and other private schools.
  • Utility
    Systems of energy, communication, water supply, sewage collection and treatment, or other similar public service facilities.
  • Emergency
    Fire protection, ambulance, rescue, and similar emergency services.
  • Medical
    Hospitals, outpatient facilities, rehabilitation facilities, or facilities for long-term care for mental or physical injury or disease.
  • Custodial Care
    Homes for the elderly and similar facilities that provide institutional care for persons who require close supervision, but do not require day-to-day medical care.
  • Other Essential Services of a Governmental Nature
    Museums, zoos, community centers, libraries, homeless shelters, senior citizen centers, rehabilitation facilities, shelter workshops and facilities that provide health and safety services of a governmental nature.
    • Health and safety services are essential services that are commonly provided by all local governments and directly affect the health and safety of individuals.

    Low-income housing, alcohol and drug rehabilitation, programs for battered spouses, transportation to medical facilities, and food programs are examples of health services.

To apply for assistance the PNP must file a Request for Public Assistance (RPA), FF-90-49 and a PNP Facility Questionnaire FF 90-121 to FEMA through the California Emergency Management Agency (Cal EMA). For information on the forms and a local contact person the PNP should call Cal EMA at 626-431-3290. Forms must be returned to FEMA by April 7, 2010.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: