Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions About Flood Insurance

Release date: 
September 2, 2009
Release Number: 

FRANKFORT, Ky. -- Have questions about your flood insurance policy? In an effort to provide the most up-to-date information and ease their concerns, National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) officials have put together answers to the most frequently asked questions.

Who do I go to first for help with questions about my NFIP policy?

You should call your insurance agent or insurance company first.

Does my NFIP Policy cover all the buildings on my property?

The standard flood insurance policy provides coverage for one building per policy.? The only exception is 10 percent coverage for a detached garage.? However, the total payment for flood damage to the detached garage and the house together cannot exceed the building policy limit.? For coverage to apply, the garage can only be used for parking and storage. Policy limits for residential properties are $250,000 and $500,000 for commercial properties.

Are the contents of my home covered under my NFIP Policy?

Contents are not automatically included.? If contents coverage is desired a specific amount must be named and a separate premium charged, but it doesn't need to be a separate policy. Contents coverage limits are $100,000 for residential policies and $500,000 for commercial policies.

I have a living area in my basement.? Is that covered?

A basement is defined as any area that is below grade on all four sides.? In some cases, sunken living rooms can be defined as a basement.? Building coverage in basements is limited to systems that service the building, such as electrical boxes, heat pumps and air conditioners. Cleanup, as well as contents in basements are covered with a few exceptions such as a washer, dryer, freezer and the food in it.?

Does my NFIP policy cover my additional living expenses when I cannot return home?

No. There is no coverage for Additional Living Expenses or Loss of Use or Business Interruption.

Does my NFIP policy cover mold or mildew?

Damage from mold and/or mildew resulting from the effects of a flood is covered but each case is evaluated.? Mold and/or mildew conditions that existed prior to a flooding event are not covered.? After a flooding event, the policyholder is responsible for taking reasonable and appropriate actions to reduce and eliminate mold or mildew.?

Does my NFIP policy cover water backed up from the sewer?

?If the damage was caused by a flood.

What is Increased Cost of Compliance or ICC?

This coverage provides up to $30,000 to comply with the community's floodplain management regulations when a building has been substantially damaged by flood and is in a designated floodplain.

Does my NFIP policy cover landscaping or my deck?

No. There is no coverage for landscaping, trees, decks or outdoor furniture.?

What do I do if I do not agree with my adjuster?

Ask your adjustor to work with your contractor if your disagreement involves the building claim.? If you cannot agree with your adjustor, ask for assistance from his supervisor.? If you cannot resolve your differences, contact your insurance company.?

?If I do not have flood insurance but would like to purchase it, what do I do?

Call your insurance agent or the NFIP at 888-435-6637. Flood insurance is available to any homeowner or business owner who lives in an NFIP-participating community. These are communities that have agreed to pass and enforce certain storm water and flood plain management ordinances.

Information about flood insurance is also available on the web at

FEMA's mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to b...

Last Updated: 
January 3, 2018 - 12:25