Main Content

Call FEMA Even If You Have Registered With Local Agencies

Release date: 
February 8, 2009
Release Number: 

OLYMPIA, Wash. ?-- The State of Washington and federal officials urge those affected by January's severe storms, flooding and mudslides to register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) even if they have already registered with voluntary agencies or have reported damage to county or local officials.

Registering with other agencies does not register you with FEMA. The only way to get into the FEMA disaster assistance system and get the help you need is to call or register online.

"Our teams working in the affected areas are finding people who think they have registered for assistance because they called, or were contacted, by local emergency management offices," said Federal Coordinating Officer Willie Nunn of FEMA.

"You must also call the FEMA registration number - 1-800-621-FEMA," said State Coordinating Officer Kurt Hardin of the Washington Emergency Management Division. "We don't want anyone who may be eligible to miss out on disaster aid.  Call today."

Homeowners, renters, and business owners who had flood losses should call the FEMA registration line at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) to apply for disaster aid. Individuals with hearing or speech impairments should call (TTY) 1-800-462-7585. The lines are open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., seven days a week.  You can also register online at

FEMA leads and supports the nation in a risk-based, comprehensive emergency management system of preparedness, protection, response, recovery, and mitigation, to reduce the loss of life and property and protect the nation from all hazards including natural disasters, acts of terrorism and man-made disasters.

Last Updated: 
July 8, 2017 - 10:45
State/Tribal Government or Region: