Main Content

Seven Counties Added To Receive Disaster Aid

Release date: 
February 6, 2009
Release Number: 

OLYMPIA, Wash. -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Washington Emergency Management Division (WEMD) have announced that seven additional Washington counties are now eligible for disaster assistance: Benton, Cowlitz, Clallam, Grays Harbor, Kittitas, Skagit and Whatcom. Residents and business owners in these counties recovering from the effects of the recent severe winter storm, landslides, mudslides, and flooding can now apply for aid.

"Whether you are a homeowner, renter or business owner, you should register," said State Coordinating Officer Kurt Hardin. "Even if you don't have all the necessary information available - such as the exact amount of insurance loss - it is important to get into the system. Be sure to have a secure mailing address, especially if you had to move out of your home."

Disaster assistance can include grants to help pay for temporary housing, home repairs and other serious disaster-related expenses. Low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) also will be available to cover residential and business losses not covered by insurance.

To apply for FEMA assistance, call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY 1-800-462-7585, between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m., seven days a week until further notice. Multilingual operators are available to answer your call. Those with Internet access can apply on-line at

"We want to make sure that every qualified individual and business receives the help they need," said Federal Coordinating Officer Willie Nunn.

As a result of this amendment, the following counties are now eligible to receive disaster assistance: Benton, Cowlitz, Clallam, Grays Harbor, King, Kittitas, Lewis, Mason, Pacific, Pierce, Skagit, Snohomish, Thurston, Wahkiakum and Whatcom.

FEMA leads and supports the nation in a risk-based, comprehensive emergency management system of preparedness, protection, response, recovery, and mitigation to reduce the loss of life and property and protect the nation from all hazards including natural disasters, acts of terrorism, and other man-made disasters.

FEMA's temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

The Small Business Administration (SBA) is the federal government's primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property. SBA helps homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes, and private nonprofit organizations fund repairs or rebuilding efforts, and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property. These disaster loans cover uninsured and uncompensated losses and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations. For information about SBA programs, applicants may call 1-800-659-2955 (TTY 1-800-877-8339). Homeowners, renters and business owners with questions for the SBA should call the Customer Service Center at 1-800-659-2955 (TTY 1-800-877-8339). Homeowners, renters and business owners with questions for the SBA should call the Customer Service Center at 1-800-659-2955.

Last Updated: 
July 8, 2017 - 10:44
State/Tribal Government or Region: