Main Content

Registering With Local Officials or Voluntary Organizations Does Not Register You For FEMA Assistance

Release date: 
July 19, 2007
Release Number: 

WICHITA, Kan. -- Those who have registered with local officials, voluntary agencies or other organizations for disaster assistance should understand that they aren’t registering for federal disaster assistance with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

These agencies work together closely after a disaster occurs, but their missions, programs and funding are completely different.

FEMA is a federal agency that is funded by Congress and administers disaster programs determined by federal officials.

Individuals can register for assistance by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362), or TTY 1-800-462-7585 for those who are hearing or speech-impaired. The FEMA application line is open 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. CDT seven days a week, until further notice. You can also register online at

FEMA coordinates the federal government’s role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: