Main Content

Total State And Federal Aid For California Freeze Approaches The $15 Million Mark

Release date: 
May 10, 2007
Release Number: 

PASADENA, Calif. -- Funds continue to flow to the areas and people impacted by the January 2007 freeze, according to officials of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the Office of Emergency Services (OES), Employment Development Department (EDD) and the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).

  • As of May 9, there were 8,927 freeze-related Unemployment Insurance claims processed by EDD, including 2,711 claims for Disaster Unemployment Assistance.

  • As of May 2, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) had delivered 200 truckloads of food to California, with more than 100 additional truckloads due to be delivered this month.

  • The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) has approved $8.4 million in low-interest Economic Injury Disaster Loans.

  • As of May 3, 2007, La Cooperativa de Campesinos de California had provided $3,029,365 in state grant funding to 8,411 participants affected by the freeze for utility, rental and mortgage assistance in Fresno, Kern, Tulare, Ventura and Riverside counties. 

  • 22,086 visits were reported at the One Stop Centers in declared counties.

  • $4,070,750 in state financial assistance was provided to food banks in Fresno, Imperial, Kern, Kings, Los Angeles, Madera, Merced, Monterey, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Tulare and Ventura counties.

  • Nearly $1.4 billion in freeze-related agricultural losses have been reported.

Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) is available for individuals who work, were scheduled to work and reside in Fresno, Imperial, Kern, Kings, Los Angeles, Madera, Merced, Monterey, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Stanislaus, Tulare and Ventura counties and provides assistance to:

  • Those who lost their jobs due to the January 2007 freeze.
  • Workers who had been contracted to work but were unable to begin work due to the freeze.
  • Those who were not eligible for regular Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits, including the self-employed.
  • Those who have exhausted their regular unemployment benefits.

Applications for DUA must be made through the Employment Development Department by calling toll-free 1-800-300-5616 for English, 1-800-326-8937 for Spanish, or TTY (non voice) 1-800-815-9387; by visiting the local One-Stop Assistance Centers in each county; or going online at  Applicants must have a legal right or permission to work in California.

Individuals affected by the freeze may receive food commodities regardless if they are a documented or undocumented immigrant and DO NOT have to demonstrate their immigration status.  Individuals may be asked to sign a document certifying that they meet the income eligibility guidelines, are a resident of the county and a victim of the disaster. To find out where to receive food assistance, individuals may contact their local county food bank.

To receive services, individuals must show they are:

  • A victim of the freeze (pay stub or a note from their employer indicating lay off).
  • A resident of that county with a rent receipt, a pay stub, utility bill or other proof of residence.

Business owners who suffered economic losses as a result of the freeze can apply for a low-interest Economic Injury Disaster Loan offered by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).  These loans are...

Last Updated: 
July 8, 2017 - 11:13
State/Tribal Government or Region: