Main Content

Oklahomans Who Lost Homes to Recent Wildfires May Be Eligible For FEMA Manufactured Homes

Release date: 
March 23, 2006
Release Number: 

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK - Residents who lost their homes as a result of the recent wildfires may apply for the use of a mobile home as they recover from the federally-declared disaster, according to the Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management (OEM).

"We are glad to be able to provide this program to Oklahomans as they rebuild their lives after such devastating fires," Deputy Federal Coordinating Officer Tim Barnett said. "We encourage those who lost their homes from the fires to call FEMA and make a specific request to be considered for the manufactured homes if they have not already done so."

The process for receiving a manufactured home includes a review of the applicant's housing needs, an inspection of the property where the unit will be placed, and awarding a contract to deliver and connect the home to existing utilities.

"As we begin providing this program, Oklahomans must remember that their safety is our first priority," State Coordinating Officer Kathleen Shingledecker, said. "We encourage applicants to work with us as we go through the process to ensure safe, secure and habitable housing."

Anyone with wildfire damages and losses is urged to apply for federal and state disaster assistance by calling 1-800-621-FEMA from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. The speech and hearing impaired may call 1-800-462-7585. An application can also be made online at

FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. FEMA also initiates mitigation activities, trains first responders, works with state and local emergency managers, and manages the National Flood Insurance Program.

Last Updated: 
July 8, 2017 - 11:30
State/Tribal Government or Region: