Main Content

Florida Temporary Housing Information

Release date: 
September 22, 2004
Release Number: 

Temporary Housing Program

The information below is provided as a summary of FEMA’s Housing Assistance Program.

Basic eligibility

  • Temporary housing assistance is provided when an applicant’s home is destroyed or damaged so badly that it cannot be inhabited and when there is no insurance to meet the need for housing. Housing assistance is not provided in cases where the damaged dwelling serves as a secondary or vacation home. Renters may also be eligible for assistance.

How to apply

  • The first step to receiving temporary housing assistance is to teleregister with FEMA’s toll-free number: 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY--1-800-462-7585 for those with speech or hearing impairments.


  • Rental assistance is the first and foremost option, whether you own or rent your primary residence. Rentals are available immediately, more comfortable than mobile housing units, and provide a boost to the local economy.
  • FEMA, along with our state and local partners, searches for all sources of temporary housing in a community, including rental properties or temporary accommodations like hotels.
  • FEMA provides travel trailers and mobile homes as a last resort—only after all other rental housing options are exhausted.
  • This program provides a safe and sanitary place to live while applicants’ homes are being repaired or rebuilt.


  • Temporary roof repairs are being made by volunteers, and by professional contractors, under the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. For more information call 1-888-ROOF-BLU; for information in Spanish call 1-800- 403-0573.
  • FEMA provides repair grants of up to $5,100 for property owners with damaged homes. These funds are intended to cover the repairs necessary to make the house livable and will normally not cover all storm-related damages.

Rental Assistance

  • If the victim needs help locating suitable rental resources, FEMA staff will assist them.
  • Rental assistance can be used to lease a commercially available travel trailer or recreational vehicle.

Travel Trailers/Mobile Homes

  • Travel trailers and mobile homes are provided as a temporary lodging solution in areas with limited rental housing.
  • Temporary disaster housing units usually consist of travel trailers and mobile (manufactured) homes. The requirements could vary depending upon overall need, location, availability of unit, general lot sizes in the area, and state and local building codes and ordinances.
  • For mobile homes, occupancy permits must be obtained and local zoning and building codes must be followed. Mobile homes must be located out of the floodplain. This is a common sense measure to avoid a re-occurrence of damage if severe weather recurs.
  • Travel trailers and mobile homes can be placed in commercial, private or group sites.
  • Occupants generally do not pay rent. However, FEMA cannot duplicate insurance benefits and may be required to charge rent in certain cases.
  • All occupants pay for utilities, such as electricity, phone service and cable TV.
  • Standards for acceptable water, sewer and electrical hook-ups must be followed.
  • FEMA will work with all applicants on permanent housing solutions.

Group Sites

  • FEMA may develop group m...
Last Updated: 
January 3, 2018 - 12:47