Main Content

Residents In Two More Counties To Receive FEMA Aid

Release date: 
July 8, 2004
Release Number: 

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Residents and business owners in two more flood-stricken Ohio counties have been declared eligible for federal assistance, disaster recovery officials announced today.

Harrison and Holmes counties were added to the eligible jurisdictions, bringing the total to 23 counties now able to receive individual assistance for damage suffered in the flooding of May 18 through June 21, according to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Ohio Emergency Management Agency (Ohio EMA). The other 21 declared counties are Athens, Carroll, Columbiana, Crawford, Cuyahoga, Delaware, Geauga, Guernsey, Hocking, Licking, Logan, Lorain, Mahoning, Medina, Noble, Perry, Portage, Richland, Stark, Summit, and Tuscarawas.

“We want every qualified family and business to receive the help they need as quickly as possible,” said Lee Champagne, federal coordinating officer for the recovery.

Eligible residents and business owners may register for assistance by calling the toll-free application numbers 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or (TTY) 1-800-462-7585. The deadline to register is August 2.

Champagne said calling these numbers is the only way to apply for the available state and federal disaster assistance programs.

“Individuals in these counties should call the application number and begin the process immediately if they have been affected by the flooding,” said Dale W. Shipley, state coordinating officer and executive director of Ohio EMA.

To help speed up the application process, callers should have the following information available:

Your current phone number; your Social Security number, if available; a general list of damages and losses you suffered; if insured, your insurance policy number, or the agent's and company name; general income information; and bank account code if you wish to speed up your assistance with direct deposit.

FEMA disaster assistance covers basic needs only and will not normally compensate you for your entire loss. If you have insurance, the government may help pay for basic needs not covered under your insurance policy. Residents should contact their insurance agents first, then call FEMA to apply. Some disaster aid does not have to be paid back, while other forms of help may come in the form of loans. The FEMA representative will explain the details to you when you call.

Disaster Assistance Programs

FEMA administers a number of disaster assistance programs and coordinates the efforts of many other federal agencies that help people through the recovery process. The types of assistance available include:

INDIVIDUALS and HOUSEHOLDS PROGRAM: Housing assistance to individuals and families whose permanent homes were damaged or destroyed by flooding. Aid can include grants for temporary rental housing; essential repairs needed to make a residence safe, sanitary and functional; and money for serious disaster-related needs and expenses not covered by insurance or other programs, such as medical, dental, funeral, personal property, transportation and other FEMA-approved expenses.

DISASTER UNEMPLOYMENT ASSISTANCE: Weekly benefits for individuals out of work due to the disaster, including self-employed persons, farm owners and others not usually covered under regular unemployment insurance.

U.S. Small Business Administration Programs

HOME/PERSONAL PROPERTY DISASTER LOANS: Disaster loans to homeowners and renters for restoring or replacing underinsured or uninsured disaster-damaged real and personal property.

BUSINESS DISASTER LOANS: Disaster loans to repair or replace destroyed or damaged business facilities, inventory, machinery, equipment, etc. not covered by insurance. (Available to large and small businesses in declared counties.) Loans also may be available to s...

Last Updated: 
January 3, 2018 - 12:48