Main Content

Henry, Lee, Louisa And Des Moines Counties Designated For Individual Assistance

Release date: 
July 1, 2002
Release Number: 

Cedar Rapids, Iowa -- Disaster assistance for Henry, Lee, Louisa and Des Moines counties have been made available to help homeowners, renters and businesses recover from the effects of the flooding that occurred between June 3 and June 25 in Iowa, the head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced today.

FEMA Director Joe M. Allbaugh said the assistance was approved based on a review of damage data gathered by federal and state disaster recovery officials. The counties were added for the aid under the major disaster declaration issued by President Bush on June 19.

"We remain committed to delivering assistance wherever it's needed and to making sure that every qualified individual and family receives the help they need to get back on the road to recovery," Allbaugh said. Affected residents and business owners in Henry, Lee, Louisa and Des Moines counties may apply for assistance immediately by calling the toll-free registration number, 1 800 621 FEMA, between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., seven days a week until further notice. Those with a speech or hearing impairment may call a special TTY number at 1-800-462-7585.

Allbaugh said calling these numbers is the only way to apply for a wide range of state and federal disaster assistance programs that can include funding for temporary housing, U. S. Small Business Administration (SBA) low-interest loans for individuals and businesses to repair or replace damaged property, disaster unemployment assistance, and grants for serious needs and necessary expenses not met by other programs.

Callers are advised to have the following information available to help speed up the application process:

  • Your current phone number.
  • Your address at the time of the disaster and the address where you are now staying
  • Your Social Security number, if available.
  • A general list of damages and losses you suffered.
  • Good directions to the property that was damaged.
  • If insured, your insurance policy number, or the agent's and company name.
  • General financial information.

When disaster strikes, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) administers a number of disaster assistance programs and coordinates the efforts of many other federal agencies that provide services to help people through the recovery process.

The types of assistance that are available follow.


DISASTER HOUSING ASSISTANCE: Housing assistance to individuals and families whose permanent homes were damaged or destroyed by the storm. Types of aid include grants for: alternate rental housing; emergency repairs needed to make a residence habitable; and mortgage or rental assistance in cases where the disaster has caused extreme economic hardship.

INDIVIDUAL AND FAMILY GRANT PROGRAM: Grants to individuals and families to meet serious disaster-related needs and necessary expenses not covered by insurance or other federal, state or voluntary agency disaster assistance programs.

DISASTER UNEMPLOYMENT ASSISTANCE: Weekly benefits to individuals out of work due to the disaster, including self-employed persons, farm owners and others not usually covered under regular unemployment insurance.


HOME/PERSONAL PROPERTY DISASTER LOANS: Disaster loans to homeowners and renters for restor...

Last Updated: 
January 3, 2018 - 12:56