Main Content

Inspectors Visiting Damaged Homes

Release date: 
August 19, 2001
Release Number: 

Washington, DC -- Damage inspectors from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and verifiers from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) may visit individuals who have applied for disaster assistance.

"The inspectors record damages experienced by applicants, which allows them to be assisted in the most efficient way possible," FEMA's Federal Coordinating Officer Tom Davies said. "Disaster-related needs may include temporary housing rental assistance, housing repairs, home cleanup for sewer and water damages to provide a safe living condition for the residents. Eligible needs may also include necessary household items, water heaters and furnaces."

"Be sure to document your flooding losses. Record all damages that affected your residence and property, as well as watermarks in the house. If at all possible, take photos of the damages that occurred as a result of the flooding prior to and throughout the clean-up process," District Coordinating Officer Peter G. LaPorte said.

Individuals can expect one or more different inspectors to visit and assess their damaged property. FEMA housing inspectors are currently in the affected areas scheduling appointments with those that have applied. Applicants will be asked to verify that they own or occupy the damaged property, and whether it is a primary residence. Federal and city officials stress that under no circumstances will inspectors request money or any form of payment for their work.

"We are advising applicants to ask for identification from everyone saying they are damage inspectors," Davies said. "All inspectors and verifiers carry official photo identification. If an inspector is not wearing identification, ask to see it."

Individuals may register for disaster assistance by calling the toll-free number at 1-800-462-9029. Hearing or speech impaired individuals may call TTY at 1-800-462-7585.

Last Updated: 
January 3, 2018 - 13:00