Main Content

Counties Hit By Tornadoes And Severe Storms Designated For Disaster Assistance

Release date: 
June 21, 2001
Release Number: 

St. Paul, MN -- Two counties have been added to the Minnesota declaration and disaster assistance expanded in several other counties, the head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced today.

FEMA Director Joe M. Allbaugh, who earlier this week reopened the declaration incident period to cover the recent storms, said the counties of Kandiyohi and Lake of the Woods were added to the list of eligible jurisdictions based on a review of damage data gathered by federal and state disaster recovery officials. Disaster assistance was also expanded to include Individual Assistance for Crow Wing and Meeker Counties and Public Assistance for Mower County.

"We remain committed to ensuring that every qualified family and business receives the help they need and that vital community facilities are restored to full service as quickly as possible," Allbaugh said.

The FEMA director said that stricken residents and business owners in Crow Wing, Kandiyohi, Lake of the Woods and Meeker Counties are eligible to apply for a wide range of state and federal disaster assistance programs under the major disaster declaration issued by President Bush on May 16. The aid can include funding for temporary housing, U. S. Small Business Administration (SBA) low--interest loans for individuals and businesses to repair or replace damaged property, disaster unemployment assistance, and grants for serious needs and necessary expenses not met by other programs.

In addition, federal funding will be available to affected local governments in Kandiyohi, Lake of the Woods, and Mower Counties to pay 75 percent of the approved costs for debris removal, emergency services related to the disaster, and repairing or replacing damaged public facilities, such as roads, buildings and utilities. Meeker County was previously eligible for Public Assistance and Mower was eligible for Individual Assistance.

Residents and business owners who have suffered damages from these recent storms may apply for assistance immediately by calling the toll--free registration number, 1--800--462--9029, between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m., Monday through Saturday until further notice. Those with a speech or hearing impairment may call a special TTY number at 1--800--462--7585.

Callers should have the following information available to help speed up the application process:

  • Your current phone number
  • Your address at the time of the disaster and the address where you are now staying
  • Your Social Security number, if available
  • A general list of damages and losses you suffered
  • Good directions to the property that was damaged
  • If insured, your insurance policy number, or the agent's and company name
  • General financial information


When disaster strikes, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) administers a number of disaster assistance programs and coordinates the efforts of many other federal agencies that provide services to help people through the recovery process. The types of assistance that are available follow.

Federal Emergency Management Agency Programs

DISASTER HOUSING ASSISTANCE: Housing assistance to individuals and families whose permanent homes were damaged or destroyed by the storm. Types of aid include grants for: alternate rental housing; emergency repairs needed to make a residence habitable; and mortgage or rental assistance in cases where the disaster has caused extreme economic hardship.

INDIVIDUAL AND FAMILY GRANT PROGRAM: Grants to individuals and families to meet serious disaster--related needs a...

Last Updated: 
July 8, 2017 - 10:57
State/Tribal Government or Region: