Main Content

FEMA Approves Over $5 Million In Grant Funds To The City Of Kansas City, MO

Release date: 
August 5, 2000
Release Number: 
R7-00-29

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) today announced that an estimated $5,400,000 in federal funding will be made available to help reduce the risk of future flood losses in Kansas City, MO.

Arthur L. Freeman, Acting Director of FEMA's regional office in Kansas City, Mo., said that the funds would be provided through FEMA's Congressional Appropriations for Unmet Needs to address and resolve the long-term flooding problem in the vicinity of the intersection of Prospect Avenue and Brush Creek Boulevard in Kansas City, Jackson County, MO.

"The approval of this project resulted from a cooperative effort by the four partners involved, namely the Missouri State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the city of Kansas City and FEMA," Freeman said.

"Our goal is to help reduce both the potential for future flood damage and the corresponding human suffering it causes," Jerry Uhlmann, SEMA Director said. "This partnership continues to help communities solve their flooding problems and become more disaster resistant."

During a heavy rain in October 1998, seven individuals were killed when their vehicles were swept off Prospect Bridge by high floodwaters. Hydraulic analyses of the existing Prospect Bridge and Brush Creek channel indicate the existing bridge is overtopped by floods as frequent as the 10-year storm event. In order to reduce the threat of flooding to traffic and adjacent property owners, the city of Kansas City will modify the Brush Creek channel and construct a new Prospect Bridge over the modified channel. The modified channel will lower the 100-year floodplain below adjacent roadways and properties. The new Prospect Bridge will allow the 100-year flood to pass without obstruction.

Under the Congressional Appropriations for Unmet Needs, FEMA funds 75% of approved projects. The remaining 25% must be provided from non-federal sources. The city of Kansas City is providing the 25% match for this project.

Last Updated: 
July 19, 2012 - 23:02
State/Tribal Government or Region: