Main Content

Fire Victims Urged To Register For Assistance

Release date: 
November 29, 1999
Release Number: 

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- All victims of the recent wildfires are urged to register for federal assistance, since they may not be aware of the assistance programs available, according to officials of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Governor's Office of Emergency Services (OES).

Under FEMA's temporary housing assistance program, those residents who were displaced by the August - October fires in the counties of Butte, San Bernardino, Shasta and Yuba may be eligible for assistance.

"If you were a victim of the fires, we want you to register," said Mark Ghilarducci, FEMA's federal coordinating officer. "We encourage people to register, since they may not realize there are programs that may help them. Just call to register, and let us walk you through the process to determine your eligibility."

FEMA's temporary disaster housing assistance program includes:

  • Transient Accommodations Reimbursement:
    Reimbursement for the cost of short-term lodging such as hotel rooms, due to the damage to your home or an official evacuation announcement.

  • Rental Assistance Program: 
    Provides grants to homeowners and renters to cover the cost of renting another place to live if they cannot or should not live in their homes because of disaster-related damages or other disaster-related reasons.

  • Disaster Minimal Home Repair Assistance:
    Provides minimal home repair grants to homeowners to make minor but necessary disaster-related repairs to their homes.

  • Disaster Mortgage and Rental Assistance Program:
    Provides mortgage and rental assistance to eligible homeowners and renters who, as a result of the disaster, have lost their job or business and face foreclosure or eviction from their home.

Those needing temporary housing assistance, and who live in Butte, San Bernardino, Shasta or Yuba counties may register by phone by calling the toll-fee registration at:

1-800-462-9029 (TTY 1-800-462-7585)

The teleregistration number is a fast and easy way for fire victims to apply for FEMA assistance. The hours are 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday.

In addition, those who have already registered and have questions regarding their application can call the FEMA Helpline at:

1-800-525-0321 (TTY 1-800-660-8005)

In addition to FEMA temporary housing assistance, there are individual and small business loans available from the U.S. Small Business Administration.

Information on SBA loans and FEMA temporary housing assistance can also be obtained through the Federal Information Centers located in each FEMA emergency-declared county - Butte, San Bernardino, Shasta and Yuba.

Last Updated: 
January 3, 2018 - 13:03