Nassau and Suffolk Designated Eligible for Infrastructure Assistance

Main Content
Release date: 
October 28, 1999
Release Number: 
1296-26

ALBANY, N.Y. -- Nassau and Suffolk counties are now are eligible to apply for state and federal disaster assistance to help pay for debris and emergency protective services and to help repair or replace infrastructure damaged by Tropical Storm Floyd, disaster recovery officials announced today.

Deputy Federal Coordinating Officer Jerry Dobinson designated the two counties eligible for the Public Assistance Program following a review of additional information regarding emergency activities and damages that occurred during the storm.

Dobinson said this latest disaster designation means that governments and eligible non-profit organizations in Nassau and Suffolk counties are now eligible for the full range of federal infrastructure assistance. This assistance may include help with the costs to repair and replace damaged infrastructure such as roads, bridges, water control facilities such as dams and levees, public buildings, public utilities and public recreational facilities to their pre-disaster condition. This assistance also includes money to reimburse eligible costs for emergency protective measures and debris removal.

According to officials of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, 75% of the costs of eligible approved projects will be reimbursed by FEMA. Of the remaining 25%, the State of New York will pay 12.5% and the applicant will pay 12.5%.

New York State Coordinating Officer Edward F. Jacoby, Jr. said, "The Public Assistance declaration will help these two counties with needed financial assistance to repair or replace damaged public property. This assistance will go a long way toward restoring much needed public services."

The addition of Nassau and Suffolk counties brings to 12 the number of New York counties designated eligible for the Public Assistance Program as a result of a major disaster declaration. Other counties eligible for infrastructure assistance under the presidential disaster declaration are Albany, Essex, Greene, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Schoharie, Ulster, Warren and Westchester.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: