Main Content

Disaster Assistance for Essex County Renters, Homeowners and Business Owners

Main Content
Release date: 
September 25, 1999
Release Number: 

ALBANY, N.Y. -- Renters, homeowners, business owners or other people who were impacted by Tropical Storm Floyd in Essex County may be eligible for assistance from a variety of state, federal and voluntary agencies. On Friday, Sept. 24, at Gov. George E. Pataki's request, Essex county was added to President Clinton's disaster declaration which previously included Orange, Putnam, Westchester and Rockland counties

Marianne C. Jackson of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and Edward F. Jacoby, Jr., Director of the New York State Emergency Management Office (SEMO), said those affected by the storm may apply for assistance immediately by calling, toll-free, 1-800-462-9029. People who are hearing- or speech-impaired may call TDD 1-800-462-7585. Both numbers are in operation from 7 a.m. to midnight seven days a week

The types of assistance that may be available include:

Voluntary Agency Programs

Emergency Assistance: Emergency food, clothing, shelter and medical assistance to individuals and families; and referrals to church groups and other voluntary agencies assisting in disasters.

FEMA-Funded Programs

Disaster Housing Assistance: Housing assistance to individuals and families whose permanent homes were damaged or destroyed by the disaster. Types of aid include grants for: (1) alternate rental housing; (2) emergency repairs needed to make a residence habitable; and (3) mortgage or rental assistance in cases where the disaster has caused extreme economic hardship.

Individual and Family Grant Program: Provides grants to individuals and families to meet serious disaster-related needs and necessary expenses not covered by insurance or other federal, state or voluntary agency disaster assistance programs. This program is administered by the New York State Department of Labor.

Disaster Unemployment Assistance: Weekly benefits are available to individuals out of work because of the disaster, including self-employed persons, farm owners and others not covered under regular unemployment insurance.

U.S. Small Business Administration Programs

Home/Personal Property Disaster Loans: Disaster loans to homeowners and renters for restoring or replacing underinsured or uninsured disaster-damaged real and personal property. Available in declared counties.

Business Disaster Loans: Disaster loans to replace or restore destroyed or damaged business facilities, inventory, machinery, equipment, etc., not covered by insurance. These loans are available to large and small businesses in declared counties. Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDLs) are available only to small businesses for working capital to assist them during the disaster recovery period. These Economic Injury Disaster Loans are available in declared and contiguous counties.

Other Federal and State Assistance Programs

Federal Tax Assistance: The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) allows underinsured or uninsured casualty losses that were sustained on home, personal property and household goods to be deducted on income tax returns. Amended returns may be filed for a previous year's filing so disaster victims can receive a tax refund.

State Tax Assistance: Assistance and information on casualty loss deductions on state income tax returns may also be obtained.

Local Tax Assistance: Local tax assessors may provide information and assistance on possible property tax relief.

Farm Assistance: Emergency loans to farmers who were operating and managing a ...

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: 
Related Disaster: 
Back to Top