Main Content

Disaster Assistance is Just a Phone Call Away

Release date: 
August 20, 1999
Release Number: 

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Residents and business owners in three Nebraska counties who were affected by the severe storms and flash flooding in early August now are eligible to apply for disaster assistance, state and federal recovery officials announced today.

Registrations for state and federal disaster assistance can begin starting Saturday, August 21, by calling the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) at 1-800-462-9029. For those who are hearing- or speech-impaired, the number is 1-800-462-7585. The call is free and recovery specialists can take registrations from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. (CT) seven days a week until further notice.

Those who are eligible to apply are individuals, families and businesses in Burt, Douglas and Washington counties with damages from the severe storms occurring from Aug. 6 through 9.

Disaster recovery programs are available for both owners and renters.

Callers should be prepared to provide the following information: name, social security number, income, address of the damaged property and a phone number where they currently can be reached.

"It's important for those who've sustained damages to call us as soon as possible," said John A. Miller, regional director of FEMA's Region VII office in Kansas City, Missouri. "The sooner they call, the sooner we can get help to those who are eligible."

Maj. Gen. Stanley Heng, director of Nebraska Emergency Management Agency, urged disaster victims to call FEMA to register, even if they're not sure whether they will be eligible for assistance.

"Many people think their damages are not bad enough and never ask for help," Heng said. "People should not disqualify themselves but let our disaster recovery specialists make that determination."

The assistance programs include: grants for short-term rental needs; grants to make minimal home repairs; low-interest U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) loans to repair major damage and/or replace damaged personal property; grants to meet serious disaster-related needs not covered by other programs, and disaster unemployment assistance.

Renters, as well as homeowners, can apply for state and federal help.

Last Updated: 
July 8, 2017 - 10:58
State/Tribal Government or Region: