Main Content

June 18 Date Set For Debris Permits

Release date: 
June 14, 1999
Release Number: 

OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. -- The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is encouraging area residents to submit right-of-entry permits by June 18 to allow Corps contractors to remove tornado debris from their property. In addition to the permit, an insurance statement and a hold harmless agreement are required.

Because of time limits on the Corps debris removal contracts, property owners who fail to return permits by June 18 may have to hire and pay their own contractors to get debris removed.

Oklahoma City residents can get forms from the city public works department. Others can get forms from their city or county governments.

In areas identified by local governments as being a health and safety threat to the general public, the Corps has authority to enter private property to remove debris, but only after the property owner has signed and submitted a right-of-entry permit. It is recommended the property owner be present, if possible, during the debris removal operation for consultation if needed.

The Corps of Engineers is administering contracts with private firms to clean up debris and demolish destroyed buildings for the Federal Emergency Management Agency in areas hit by tornadoes in Oklahoma May 3. In some areas, local governments are managing the debris removal.

Last Updated: 
July 16, 2012 - 18:46
State/Tribal Government or Region: