Main Content

U.S. Army Corps to Remove Debris from Private Property in Oklahoma City

Release date: 
May 25, 1999
Release Number: 

OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. -- City officials have determined disaster areas in Oklahoma City to be a health and safety hazard following the May 3-5 tornadoes, severe storms and flooding, giving the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) the authority to assign the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to remove disaster debris from private property, with the property owner's permission.

"At this time we have only been asked by Oklahoma City to pick up debris on private property," said Tom Logsdon, the Corps' project manager for debris removal in Oklahoma.

Oklahoma City residents who wish to have their debris removed by the Corps' contractor may pick up right-of-entry forms from the Disaster Recovery Center in the Bank One Building at 7400 S. Pennsylvania Avenue or at the Moore Disaster Recovery Center, South Metro Center in the Super Flea Bingo Building, 2600 S.W. Service Road. Forms also can be obtained from the local Oklahoma City Public Works Department. Completed right-of-entry forms must be returned to a Disaster Recovery Center or the Oklahoma City Public Works Department for coordination with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

"Before any contractor or public worker can go onto private property, the individual landowners must sign and return the right-of-entry forms," Logsdon said.

In addition to a right-of-entry permit, an insurance statement and a hold harmless agreement also are required. It is recommended that the property owner be present, if possible, during the debris removal operation for consultation, if needed.

Last Updated: 
January 3, 2018 - 13:04