cHECk-RAS is a program designed to verify the validity of an assortment of parameters found in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) HEC-RAS hydraulic modeling program. cHECk-RAS utilizes information generated by HEC-RAS.
To view the latest version of cHECk-RAS, visit the cHECk-RAS 2.0.1 Homepage.
This page outlines information on how to download and run the latest version of cHECK-RAS, as well as run the HEC-RAS program in the cHECk-RAS program for new users.
The cHECk-RAS program, including the User Guide, can be downloaded in WinZip format from the download link below. If you need additional information on how to obtain WinZip, see the Download Plug-in box at the bottom of this page.
cHECk-RAS 2.0.1 can be run on computers that:
- Use Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 (32- or 64-bit) operating systems
- Have the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' (USACE) HEC-RAS program installed (all versions through version 4.1.0 are supported)
- Have a version of Adobe Reader or Acrobat installed
Note that in order for the cHECk-RAS Help and Reporting functions to be fully functional, the HEC-RAS project file inputted into the program must be accessed from your local computer.
After installing the above software requirements on your computer, including USACE’s HEC-RAS program, follow the steps below:
Please note that older versions of cHECk-RAS do not need to be un-installed prior to installation of cHECk-RAS 2.0.1.
- Download the latest cHECk-RAS Version 2.0.1 set-up zip file from the FEMA library and save it to a local directory on your computer. Extract the file.
Note that the FEMA library resource record for cHECk-RAS also includes the following information:
- cHECk-RAS 2.0.1 executable setup file - in ZIP format.
- User Guide
- cHECk-RAS Sample Data Sets
- Double click on the cHECk-RAS installation file and follow the on-screen directions to install the program.
The HEC-RAS program latest version 4.1.0 must be installed on your computer before you can use cHECk-RAS. If you already have HEC-RAS 4.1.0 installed on your computer, skip to the Run cHECk-RAS section below. If not, visit the USACE Web site to download a free copy of the program and install it on your computer.
- The default installation directory for HEC-RAS is the "HEC" directory. However, you may install this program elsewhere on your computer or rename the default directory after installing the program (not recommended). If either of these actions is taken, the HEC-RAS registry will no longer match the location of the actual program on your computer. Wherever the program may be, make sure that the path to the application is such that the last directory in the path is "HEC" (e.g., D:\test\test1\HEC\ras.exe).
- The HEC-RAS registry is not automatically created on your computer when you install the HEC-RAS program. To create the registry, you must open at least one project from HEC-RAS. If this is not done, cHECk-RAS will not be able to find the HEC-RAS program on your computer.
- Make sure that the stream has a reach name by navigating to Edit/Geometric Data on the HEC-RAS main menu. Although HEC-RAS will run without a reach name, cHECk-RAS will not be able to extract data. Refer to the HEC-RAS Users Manual for information on adding a reach name.
Before running cHECk-RAS, it is highly recommended that users review the cHECk-RAS User Guide, available both directly through the cHECk-RAS online help function or as a standalone .pdf file. The User Guide has detailed instructions on how to use the different functions in the program and information on the types of checks performed.
You can also view the cHECk-RAS 2.0.1 Online Tutorial, which will walk you through the set-up process as well as provide step-by-step information on how to run the program. The tutorial also includes a glossary of all related terms.
Questions not answered by the Help menu or suggestions for software improvements can be submitted on the Software Help Page.
A Software Help Page is available to accommodate users' submittals of questions and suggestions regarding cHECk-RAS and other FEMA computer programs. View the latest known issues for the cHECk-RAS Beta software release.