This page provides information about the FEMA National Advisory Council, current membership, meeting information, and more.
The FEMA National Advisory Council (NAC) was established by the enactment of the Post-Katrina Emergency Management Reform Act of 2006 to ensure effective and ongoing coordination of Federal preparedness, protection, response, recovery, and mitigation for natural disasters, acts of terrorism, and other manmade disasters. The NAC advises the FEMA Administrator on all aspects of emergency management. The NAC incorporates state, local, and tribal governments; nonprofit, and private sector input in the development and revision of the National Preparedness Goal, the National Preparedness System, the National Incident Management System, and other related plans and strategies.
Applications to NAC Membership
FEMA is not currently accepting applications for individuals to serve on the National Advisory Council. Check back in early 2017 for membership application information.
The NAC consists of up to 35 members appointed by and serving at the pleasure of the Administrator. Members are designated as Representatives, Special Government Employees (SGEs), or Ex Officio. SGEs are defined in section 202(a) of Title 18 United States Code. To the extent practicable, the members are geographically diverse and represent a substantive cross-section of officials, emergency managers, and emergency response providers from state, local, and tribal governments, the private sector, and nongovernmental organizations.
The current members of the NAC are listed below and more information is contained in the membership roster. The Administrator appoints one member of the NAC as the Chair and one member as the Vice Chair. Currently, Jim Featherstone is the Chair, and Teresa Scott is the Vice Chair.
In August 2016, the Administrator appointed new members to the NAC, with terms beginning September 2016. See the press release.
- James Akerelrea - Elected Tribal Government Officials – Rep
- Gabriele Almon – FEMA Administrator Selection (Emerging Leader) - SGE
- Brett Bailey - Communications - SGE
- Peter Barca - Elected State Government Officials – Rep
- Meloyde Batten-Mickens - FEMA Administrator Selection - SGE
- Donna Boston – FEMA Administrator Selection - SGE
- Sarita Chung - In-Patient Medical Providers - SGE
- Jeanne-Aimee De Marrais - FEMA Administrator Selection - SGE
- Jerry Demings – Elected Local Government Officials - Rep
- Gerard Dio - Emergency Response Providers - Rep
- Jim Featherstone - Emergency Management - Rep
- Lee Feldman - FEMA Administrator Selection - SGE
- Scott Field - FEMA Administrator Selection – SGE
- Peter Ginaitt – Standards Setting and Accrediting -- Rep
- Jeffrey Hansen - Non-Elected Tribal Government Officials – Rep
- Eugene Henry – Non-Elected Local Government Official - Rep
- Chris Howell - FEMA Administrator Selection - SGE
- June Kailes - Access and Functional Needs - SGE
- Emily Kidd - Emergency Medical Providers - SGE
- Nim Kidd – Non-Elected State Government Official – Rep
- Anne Kronenberg - Emergency Response Providers - SGE
- Linda Langston - FEMA Administrator Selection - SGE
- Christopher Littlewood - Disabilities - SGE
- Suzet McKinney - Public Health - SGE
- Gerald Parker - Health Scientist - SGE
- Samantha Phillips - Emergency Management - Rep
- Catherine Nelson - Cyber Security - SGE
- Robert Salesses - U.S. Department of Defense - Ex Officio
- Teresa Scott – Standards Setting and Accrediting – Rep
- Michael Sprayberry - Emergency Response Providers - Rep
- Jeff Stern – Emergency Management -- Rep
- Guy Swan - FEMA Administrator Selection - SGE
- Darryll Wong - FEMA Administrator Selection - SGE
- Phil Zarlengo - FEMA Administrator Selection - SGE
- Daniel Zarrilli - Infrastructure Protection - SGE
For more information on how to apply to be considered for NAC membership, visit our application page.
Dates for 2016 National Advisory Council in-person meetings were:
- February 9-11, 2016 in Raleigh, North Carolina (Meeting agenda and minutes)
- May 10-12, 2016 in Austin, Texas (Meeting agenda and minutes)
- September 13-15, 2016 in Arlington, Virginia (Meeting agenda and minutes)
Information and materials from past meetings can be found in the Archive of Meeting Materials.
The NAC may establish subcommittees and working groups for any purpose consistent with its Charter. Subcommittees and working groups may not work independently from the NAC and must report their recommendations and advice to the NAC for full deliberation and discussions. Subcommittees and working groups have no authority to make decisions on behalf of the NAC and may not report directly to the Administrator or any other entity.
The NAC has four standing subcommittees and one ad hoc subcommittee: the Federal Insurance and Mitigation Subcommittee, the Preparedness and Protection Subcommittee, the Response and Recovery Subcommittee, the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Ad-Hoc Subcommittee, and the new Integrated Public Alert and Warning System Subcommittee.
The NAC forwarded recommendations from the September 2016 meeting to the FEMA Administrator on October 3, 2016. Read memo.
The NAC forwarded recommendations from the May 2016 meeting to the FEMA Administrator on June 2, 2016. Read memo and FEMA's Response.
The NAC forwarded recommendations from the February 2016 meeting to the FEMA Administrator on February 19, 2016. Read memo and FEMA's response.
See Recommendations and Responses for earlier NAC recommendations.
For more information about the NAC or questions about this page, please contact the Office of the National Advisory Council.
Phone: (202) 646-2700
Fax: (540) 504-2331
Office of the National Advisory Council
Federal Emergency Management Agency
500 C Street SW
Washington, DC 20472-3184
Information on how to submit a FOIA Claim.