alert - warning

This page has not been translated into 한국어. Visit the 한국어 page for resources in that language.

Use Your FEMA Assistance Wisely

alert - warning

Sorry, there were no results based on your filter selections.
Please reset the filter or change your selections and try again.

Helena, Mont – As eligible disaster survivors start to receive funds for rental assistance, home repairs, or other categories of assistance, FEMA urges you to spend those awards wisely.

FEMA will send you a notification letter informing you of the types of assistance you are eligible to receive, and the amounts of assistance FEMA is providing for each eligible need. These may include:

  • Home repairs (e.g., structure, water, septic and sewage systems);
  • Rental assistance for a different place to live temporarily;
  • Repair or replacement of a damaged primary vehicle;
  • Uninsured out-of-pocket medical expenses for an injury caused by the disaster;
  • Repair or replacement of occupational specialized tools;
  • Essential educational materials (e.g., computers, schoolbooks, supplies); and
  • Moving and storage expenses related to the disaster and other disaster-related expenses.

You may spend your FEMA assistance in ways that help you make your home safe, sanitary, and fit to live in. Remember to document how you used disaster funds and keep all receipts for at least three years for verification of how you spent the money.

Disaster assistance is not for regular living expenses, such as utilities, food, travel, entertainment or any discretionary expenses not directly related to the disaster.

Contact the FEMA Mitigation Helpline at 833-FEMA-4-US (833-336-2487) for information on resilient building practices. Mitigation specialists are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. MDT. You can also email the team at

For more information about FEMA’s support to Montana’s flooding and severe storms recovery, visit Follow the FEMA Region 8 Twitter account at