FEMA published a final rule on March 21, 2019, amending 44 C.F.R. 206.48(b) (Factors considered when evaluating a Governor's request for a major disaster declaration) which revised the factors that FEMA considers when evaluating a Governor’s request for a major disaster declaration authorizing Individual Assistance. FEMA published the final rule as part of an effort to meet requirements in section 1109 of the Sandy Recovery Improvement Act (P.L. 113-2).
The intent of the final rule is to provide more objective criteria, clarify the threshold for eligibility and speed the declaration process.
The final rule and guidance will be effective on June 1, 2019.
More information regarding the declaration process can be found at 44 C.F.R. Part 206, Subpart B.
The IA Declaration Factors apply only to state and territory major disaster declaration requests that include IA. FEMA is implementing guidance for tribal declarations on a separate, distinct track. The IA criteria for tribal declarations may be found in the Tribal Declaration Pilot Guidance.
Individual Assistance Declaration Factors
44 C.F.R. 206.48(b) establishes six Individual Assistance Declaration Factors:
- State Fiscal Capacity and Resource Availability
- Uninsured Home and Personal Property Losses
- Disaster Impacted Population Profile
- Impact to Community Infrastructure
- Disaster Related Unemployment
Here are links to other information that may be useful during the declarations process:
- Total Taxable Resources (TTR) for States
- Gross Domestic Product (GDP) – Use GDP by State for territories, metro areas, counties, etc.
- Homeownership Rates
Available for the U.S., regions, states, and for the 75 largest Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs).
- Poverty Rates
- Supplemental Security Income data
- Use the Advanced Search, Geographies: “All Counties within the United States,” Topics: B19056, 5-year estimates.
- Unemployment data for States
- Unemployment data for Counties and 50 largest Cities
- Population Demographics
- “65 or Older” and “18 or Younger” data: Use the Advanced Search, Geographies: “All Counties within the United States,”
- Topics: DP05, 5-year estimates.
- “Populations with a disability”: Use the Advanced Search, Geographies: “All Counties within the United States,”
- Topics: S1810, 3-year estimates.
- “Percent of population who speaks English less than very well”: Use the Advanced Search, Geographies: “All Counties in the United States,” Topics: B06007, 5-year estimates.
- “American Indian and Alaska Native populations”: Use the Advanced Search, Geographies: “All Counties within the United States,” Topics: DP05, 5-year estimates.