Without a proper foundation, an elevated building can suffer damage from a flood due to erosion, scour, or settling. The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) regulations provide performance standards for anchoring new buildings and foundation and fill placement standards for buildings, for manufactured homes, and in V Zones. However, the NFIP performance standards do not specify how a building''s foundations are to be constructed in A Zones. The national model building codes address building foundations and the proper placement, compaction, and protection of fill.
The use of fill is prohibited for structural support of buildings in V Zones. Pile or column foundations must be used.
National Flood Insurance Program Requirements
- 60.3 - Flood plain management criteria for flood-prone areas
- (a) (3) (ii) - General Anchoring Requirement
- (c) (6) (iv) - Manufactured Home Foundations
- (c) (12) (ii) - Manufactured Homes in an existing park or subdivision
- (e)(4) (ii) - V Zone Foundation Requirement
- (e) (5) (ii) - V Zone Free of Obstruction Requirement
- (e) (6) - V Zone Fill for Structural Support