alert - warning

This page has not been translated into Kreyòl. Visit the Kreyòl page for resources in that language.

Auxiliary Aids and Services

Auxiliary aids are ways to provide effective communication for people with disabilities. Disaster survivors may request auxiliary aids and services when applying for disaster assistance.

Auxiliary aids and services include:

  • Qualified readers
  • Documents in large print or electronic formats
  • Sign language interpreters (on-site or video remote)
  • Communication Access Realtime Translation (CART)
  • Assistive listening systems and devices
  • Microsoft Teams captioning  
  • Videophones
  • Laptop magnification software, screen reader software, and optical readers
  • Accessibility features in electronic documents and other electronic and information technology that is accessible (either independently or through assistive technology, such as screen readers)

How to Request Auxiliary Aids and Services

Disaster survivors may request auxiliary aids and services when applying for disaster assistance. Disaster survivors also may request reasonable modifications.

  • Start your application for FEMA disaster assistance by calling FEMA’s Helpline at 800-621-3362, visiting, using the FEMA mobile app, or visiting a local Disaster Recovery Center and Community Recovery Centers.

During the application process, you can report the need to interact with FEMA staff and/or access FEMA programs.

If a Request is Denied

alert - info

You may file a complaint with the External Civil Rights Division if you feel that you have been discriminated against.

FEMA may deny a request for auxiliary aids or services if the request was not made by or on behalf of an individual with a disability, if there is no disability-related need for the auxiliary aid or service, or the auxiliary aid or service would fundamentally alter the nature of a program or result in an undue burden on FEMA. 

When an individual with a disability believes that they have been subjected to a discriminatory practice regarding equal access, including a wrongful denial of a request for an auxiliary aid or service, they may file a complaint with the FEMA Office of Civil Rights, External Civil Rights Division (ECRD)