Climate change is an urgent issue we face together. On this page, learn how we are addressing climate change and find resources for emergency managers.
Public Comment Period on Climate Change and Underserved Populations - Closed
The results of this request for information (RFI) will inform the 2022-2026 FEMA Strategic Plan and will help us better support communities and underserved populations when it comes to resiliency and climate change.
Climate Change Enterprise Steering Group
Co-chaired by the Office of Environmental Planning and Historic Preservation (OEHP) and the Office of Response and Recovery (ORR), including leadership representation from every FEMA component, the Climate Adaptation Enterprise Steering Group (ESG):
- Identifies strategic opportunities and barriers to further advance adaption and environmental justice through FEMA programs and activities in both short- and long-term actions.
- Evaluates opportunities and barriers to advance equitable climate action across FEMA programs.
Emergency Management in a Changing Climate
The challenges posed by climate change, such as more intense storms, frequent heavy precipitation, heat waves, drought, extreme flooding and higher sea levels could significantly alter the types and magnitudes of hazards faced by communities and the emergency management professionals serving them. Emergency managers should adapt to the impacts of climate change.
Tools and Data
- NFIP’s Community Rating System (CRS) Guidance
- Threat and Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment
- National Risk Index for Natural Hazards
- Integrating Sustainability into Recovery
- Integrating Mitigation into Recovery
- US Global Change Research Program
- EPA Stormwater Calculator
- US Climate Resilience Toolkit
- NASA Climate Resources
- DOE Climate Change Science and Innovation
- HHS Sustainability
- Climate Data at data.gov
Knowledge and Capacity
- National Climate Assessment 2018
- National Mitigation Investment Strategy
- Hazard Mitigation Assistance
- Building Science
- Risk Mapping, Assessment and Planning
- Technical Mapping Advisory Council
- Federal Flood Risk Management Standard
- Coastal Flood Risks
- Planning for Future Conditions
- Planificación para condiciones futuras
- Building Community Resilience with Nature-based Solutions
- Environmental and Historic Preservation
- Climate Change Research (EPA)
- Climate Change Adaptation Resource Center - ARC-X (EPA)