Main Content

Mandatory evacuation expenses

I was under mandatory evacuation; will FEMA pay me back for my expenses?

FEMA does not compensate for evacuation expenses, even if the evacuation was mandatory. However, lodging/hotel expenses may be eligible for reimbursement if the home was damaged to the extent you could not return for an extended period of time, so retain your verifiable hotel/motel lodging receipts. Do not send lodging receipts to FEMA before you have registered for assistance. Miscellaneous evacuation expenses such as food and gasoline are not reimbursable, regardless of whether the homes was damaged.

If you have Homeowner's Insurance, you may want to contact your insurance company regarding Loss of Use or Additional Living Expenses (ALE). This coverage may assist you with your evacuation expenses.

If you will need help evacuating or finding shelter, call the United Way by dialing 2-1-1 from a landline phone. Emergency food, clothing, shelter, and medical assistance may be provided to individuals and families as a result of the disaster. The American Red Cross (ARC) may also be able to provide immediate assistance. They can be reached at or 1-800-733-2767.

Question Categories

Was this answer helpful?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Search all of or Ask a question

Last Updated: 
Tue, 06/25/2013 - 12:01