Main Content

Japan Earthquake and Tsunami

How can I help with the recent earthquake in Japan and the tsunami?

You may find information on the voluntary agencies that play a vital role in disaster recovery by visiting the following website: National Volunteer Organizations Active in Disaster (NVOAD)

If you wish to provide assistance to support disaster relief efforts you are encouraged to contact the voluntary agency of your choice that you may normally contribute to in times of disaster. You can provide financial support, donate needed product or donate time and skills through the National Donations Management Network at . The network is a web-based portal through which individuals and the private sector can offer their support to the voluntary organizations that are actively engaged in ongoing disasters.

Special Information for the Recent Tsunami:

  • Center for International Disaster Information (CIDI)- Provides Humanitarian Emergency information. Anyone wishing to donate or provide assistance is asked to contact the Center for International Disaster Information.
  • The US State Department Operations Center said Americans seeking information about family members in Japan should call 1-888-407-4747 and press option 7.
  • Donations to the International Response Fund can be sent to the American Red Cross, P.O. Box 37243, Washington, D.C. 20013 or made by phone at 1-800-REDCROSS or 1-800-257-7575 (Spanish) or online at

For those interested in helping immediately and want to donate to Red Cross quake relief, you can do so through your cell phone. Text "redcross" to 90999 to make a $10 donation. It will be on your next cell bill.

Question Categories

Was this answer helpful?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Search all of or Ask a question

Last Updated: 
Wed, 12/02/2015 - 14:39