Main Content

Assistance Evacuating

Will FEMA help me evacuate?

If a disaster and evacuation is pending, monitor your local media for the most up-to-date advisories and emergency instructions.

If you will need help evacuating or finding shelter, call the United Way by dialing 2-1-1 from a landline phone. Emergency food, clothing, shelter, and medical assistance may be provided to individuals and families as a result of the disaster. The American Red Cross (ARC) may also be able to provide immediate assistance. They can be reached at 1-800-733-2767.

FEMA does not compensate for evacuation expenses, even if the evacuation was mandatory. However, lodging/hotel expenses may be eligible for reimbursement if your county is located in a Presidentially-declared disaster area for Individual Assistance and your home was damaged to the extent that you could not return for an extended length of time. Please retain your verifiable hotel/motel lodging receipts, but do not send lodging receipts to FEMA before you have registered for assistance. Miscellaneous evacuation expenses, such as food and gasoline, are not reimbursable regardless of whether the home was damaged.

If you have Homeowners Insurance, you should contact your insurance company regarding Loss of Use or Additional Living Expenses (ALE). This coverage may assist you with your evacuation expenses.

Question Categories

Was this answer helpful?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Search all of or Ask a question

Last Updated: 
Wed, 12/02/2015 - 10:15