U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov

A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS

A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites..

Recovery Update: Severe Storms and Flooding in Middle Tennessee

Release Date:
November 16, 2021

Residents of Dickson, Hickman, Houston and Humphreys counties, impacted by severe storms and flooding on Aug. 21, were eligible to apply for federal disaster assistance through FEMA’s Individual Assistance program for disaster-related repair and replacement and other needs grants from Aug. 23 to Oct. 25, 2021.

FEMA continues to work with state and local governments on repair projects for damaged public infrastructure and facilities through its Public Assistance program. The PA program is funded by FEMA and administered through the Tennessee Emergency Management Agency (TEMA). Federal cost share is 75% with the remaining 25% covered by the applicant.



  • The following federal disaster assistance has been disbursed: (as of Nov. 15, 2021).
    • FEMA’s Individuals & Households Program
      • Individuals and Households Program Assistance: $6,939,74
        • Housing Assistance: $5,174,196
        • Other Needs: $1,765,553
      • Housing Inspections Issued:2,034
      • Housing Inspections Completed: 2,032
      • The U.S. Small Business Administration has approved low-interest disaster loans to individuals, families and businesses of over $11 million.
      • So far 3,903 people have called FEMA’s application number for information or to apply for assistance.
  • As of Nov 15, National Flood Insurance policyholders received more than $11.5 million for 112 claims to repair and rebuild flood-damaged property. 
  • Some Tennesseans who have applied to FEMA may receive – or have received – a letter stating their claim is ineligible for payment. If you receive that letter, you may be able to change the outcome. Many times, it’s a simple fix. An application is often denied because additional information is needed.
    • You have 60 days from the date of your FEMA determination letter to write an appeal letter explaining why you disagree with the agency’s decision. Your letter should include documentation supporting what’s outlined in your appeal letter. Submit the appeal to your disasterassistance.gov account or fax it to 800-827-8112. You may also mail your documents to FEMA National Processing Service Center, P.O. Box 10055, Hyattsville, MD 20782-8055.
  • Mental Health services: Disasters can take an emotional toll on survivors. Survivors in need of crisis counseling may receive assistance by contacting the following organizations:
    • Tennessee Statewide Crisis Phone line at 855-274-7471 or Text TN to 741741, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    • Contact Centerstone at 888-460-4351
    • Or Contact the Disaster Distress Helpline at 800-985-5990 or Text TalkWithUs to 66746
    • For more information visit: Middle Tennessee Flooding Recovery (tn.gov)  
  • Survivors who stated they did not wish to relocate from their damaged homes while repairs are being made, have 60 days from the date of their determination letters to request temporary rental assistance.
    • Residents may be eligible for temporary rental assistance if FEMA determines their home is in need of repairs, utilities were out, or the home was/is inaccessible at the time of inspection.
    • After two months of temporary rental assistance, survivors must show receipts for rent paid, complete an application for Continued Temporary Housing Assistance, provide pre and post disaster proof of income, provide pre and post disaster housing cost, and have a signed lease for a rental unit to continue receiving the assistance.
    • FEMA’s rental assistance includes money for a security deposit and essential utilities, such as electricity and water, but not cable or internet.
    • The approved rental amount is based on fair market rates for your area as determined by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
  • Disaster Legal Services is available to residents with losses.
    • Residents with legal issues due to the storms may call 844-HELP4TN (844-435-7486) or ask questions online at https://tn.freelegalanswers.org/. Additionally, survivors can access information about their rights and resources, including links to upcoming legal clinics, and local resources at https://www.help4tn.org/


For more information on Tennessee’s disaster recovery, visit Middle Tennessee Flood Recovery and Tennessee Severe Storms (DR-4609-TN) | FEMA.gov.. You may also follow FEMA on www.facebook.com/fema and Twitter @FEMARegion4.

Last updated November 16, 2021